Today is the last day of school and I’m ecstatic. School is out for the summer! I thought this day would never come. I’m not going to lie, I’m doing the happy dance.
I know it may seem early but we started school the second week in August. We were in school in the heat of the summer, don’t be too envious.
Keeping up with three active school age kids has its challenges. There were days when I was driving after school from 3:30 until 7 or 8pm in the evening, catching quick naps in the car. You know how it is, track practice, basketball practice and piano lessons. Raise your hand if you can relate. I know I’m not the only mom out there who shares this experience.
All in all my kids achieved some important milestones and had a great school year. They showed up, represented themselves well and did everything they were supposed to do. Yet and still I just can’t hide my excitement that we have some time to regroup.
I’ve listed five things that I won’t miss about the school year.
1. I will not miss getting two kids who like their sleep up in the morning. They crawled back in bed many times when they were supposed to be getting dressed.
2. I will not miss juggling after school events and activities. I had three kids at three different schools and their events conflicted on a number of occasions. I haven’t figured out how to split my body in two yet.
3. I will not miss driving to three different schools when the kids missed the bus. This happened a few times and it threw me off schedule.
4. I will not miss keeping a family activity calendar that I wrote in and referred to daily. I had to, otherwise I had no idea where we were supposed to be and when. I’ll still keep the calendar but it will be legible and not overcrowded.
5. I will not miss the hustle and bustle which included school, work, activities, dinner, homework, preparation for the next day, chores, and bedtime. Then repeat again the next day and the next day.
Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining,well just a little, but mama needs a break. Even despite the craziness, my love for my family is what keeps me going. It won’t always be this crazy and before you know it my babies will be in college.
Not only am I celebrating the end of the school year but I am also excited about summer. The summer is a great time of year and it’s work free for me. Stay tuned for our summer adventures.
What are you looking forward to this summer?
Peace and Blessings,